Payasam is a sweet kheer dessert from South India. It’s a thick but still a little liquid dessert made with mostly milk. Payasam is generally made with rice and jaggery is added for sweetness. But I am sharing this Rava Payasam recipe which is made with Rava and it’s not just easy but a perfect sweet for your festive prasad or get together. Since we add nuts fried in Ghee it adds the richness to the dessert. So let’s see how to make this real quick.
- 1/4 cup Rava Sooji (Semolina)
- 1/2 cup and 2 tbsp less Sugar
- 1/2 cups Water
- 2 cups Milk
- 9-10 Cashew nuts
- 12-15 Raisins
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- 1/4 tsp Cardamom powder
- Pinch of Salt
1. Add a tsp of ghee and when it’s hot and melted roast cashew nuts until golden brown. keep aside.
2. In same pan add raisins and fry until it fluffs up. Keep aside.
3. Roast rava with the remaining ghee and cook until it’s slightly golden brown in color.
4. In a heavy bottomed vessel, boil water and milk.
5. Now Add salt and roasted rava gradually to it. Stir in between and Cook covered on medium flame until soft.
6. Add sugar, and cook on medium flame for about 10 mins.
7. Bring it to boil, add roasted cashews, raisins and powdered cardamom. Mix well and switch off the flame.
Enjoy this Warm or Serve Payasam Chilled. Hope you guys enjoyed this recipe. Stay tuned until I get another delicious recipe for you all. Till then enjoy this Payasam and do let me know your experience through commenting below.
1. When it cools down, it gets thickened. So add lots of water and milk as needed. 2. Adding salt to any sweet enhances the taste, otherwise it tastes very flat. 3. You can add condensed milk and reduce sugar. Adjust sugar and milk as per your need. 4. Do not cook Rava for long time we don’t need it to cook until it changes all of its color. But just a slight golden brown is ok.