Rajasthani Dal Dhokli is one of the most famous & traditional Rajasthani dishes generally prepared and enjoyed in cold weather and rainy days. This is made with spiced dough dumpling cooked in lentils, and seasoned with spices. Rajasthani dal Dhokli is a spicy, flavorsome, delicious one-pot meal. This one-pot meal is best served hot accompanied with some Papad, sliced onions, and some lemon wedges. So let’s quickly get right into the recipe.
- For lentil:
- 1 cup moong lentil washed and soaked for 30 mins
- 3 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp clarified butter (Ghee)
- For dough:
- 1 cup wheat flour
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp red pepper powder
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp Carom seeds
- 1/8 tsp asafoetida
- Water to knead dough
- For tempering:
- 2 tsp oil
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida
- 2 red chili 🌶
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp green chili paste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp red pepper powder
- Little water
- In a pressure cooker add lentil, Ghee, salt, turmeric powder, and water. Mix this and cook till you hear 3 whistles. Now turn the flame off but leave it as it is to cool down completely.
- In meanwhile let’s make the dough. Mix all the ingredients for the dough and by adding little water knead a hard dough. Now make marble size balls and press it between your palms. Now by using your thumb try to press the sides of the disc and make all disc in the same way.
- Now open the cooker lid and turn the flame on. While this is happening whisk the lentil really good. If you need you can add water and this should be watery and not thick. Let this come to a boil.
- When it starts to boil put all the disc one by one into it. Now cook this until the disc is completely cooked. This should take about 45- mins to an hour.
- Meanwhile, let’s prepare the tempering. Heat oil. When the oil is hot add cumin seeds, asafoetida, red chilies, and stir it for 5-10 seconds. Now add the green chili paste and ginger paste and cook it for about 15-20 seconds. Add red pepper powder and turmeric powder and add about 5-6 tbsp of water. Let this boil for a min. And now put the tempering into the Dal Dhokli when it’s cooked.
- Mix all really good and let this come to a final boil before ready to serve.
- Serve the Dal Dhokli hot with some Papad or salad onions or even with mango pickle. Make sure to put a dollop of Ghee on it and squeeze some lemon juice on it. This is the traditional way of eating this dish.
I hope you guys enjoyed my recipe. Do give this traditional recipe a try and do write to me your comments below. This is the traditional and authentic way to make this recipe. But cooking is always fun if you add your own spice to it. So you can twist this recipe with your own version.
1. Dough should be hard and not soft. Reason because when you will make marble disc it won’t stick to each other. In case your dough becomes soft either add more flour and knead or while making disc make sure to sprinkle the dry flour in between onto it. 2. You lentil should be watery. Even before adding the dhoklis to it. Because when you add Dhokli it is anyway going to get thick and smooth, so you might need to add more water to it in between. 3. Since the dough is not cooked it’s very important that it gets cooked in the lentil. To check take out one Dhokli on a plate and cut it into 2. If you still see the dough in it, it’s not cooked. When it will be cooked it will look exactly same from inside how it’s looking from outside. Another way is to eat a little bite from it to check. 4. Make sure to keep stirring in between and keep adding little water as and when required. Else it will stick to the bottom. 5. Do not forget to put a dollop of Ghee and some lemon juice on it before serving. This is how it’s eaten in Rajasthan and it helps to bring out the taste from it. 6. At last you can always adjust the spices as per your need.