Jalebi or Jelibi is the most loved Indian dessert. It’s made mostly on all the festivals but one out of them is Diwali. People in India make different types of sweets and snacks and then it’s all offered to Lordess Lakshmi and Lord Ganesha. Earlier people use to cook everything at home. But as we see today you get everything in the market. And the trend of prepping it at home is mostly shifted towards the trend of buying it all from the market. Well, today neither its Diwali nor it’s any other Indian Festival, but the reason I cooked the jalebis is the tempting pictures you see all over social media people cooking (due to lockdown) it at home and posting. So I thought why not make some and share the recipe of such crunchy and juicy jalebis with you. So let’s get started.
- For Jalebi:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cornflour/corn starch
- 1 tbsp chickpea flour
- ½ cup of warm water
- Pinch of yellow food color (optional)
- ½ cup curd / plain yogurt
- Pinch of cardamom powder
- Oil / Ghee to deep fry
- For Sugar Syrup:
- 1 cup of sugar
- ¾ cup of water
- Pinch of cardamom powder
- Few saffron strands
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- First, make the sugar syrup. Take a saucepan and add all the ingredients together. Mix and wait for the boil. Now let this simmer for about 5-10 mins. And cook until you get one string consistency. This means when you take it on your thumb and stretch it with a finger you should be able to see one string kind of texture. Once done take this out of the flame and keep aside.
- In a bowl mix all the ingredients for jalebi together except the water. And mix it together. Now slowly and gradually add water and mix this. Make sure your batter is not too thick or too runny. It should have dropping thick consistency.
- Just whisk this good for about 5-7 minutes. This will help to make the batter smooth. If you are fermenting the batter skip adding yogurt and let this sit for about 24 hours.
- Now heat oil in a wok. Once hot turn it to medium. Now take a ketchup bottle of you can also use the cake icing pouch and cut it a little from the bottom to ensure getting a semi-thick layer.
- Now fill some spoons of batter into it. And start making spirals into the oil. To make a spiral start from inside and move it to clockwise direction. Make sure your end of the spiral sticks of the center or any layer of your jalebi. Make at least 3-4 spirals or rounds, and make it broad.
- Now fry them on a medium flame for about 2-3 mins and on high for about a min to get the color. Take them out and drop them into the chasni (sugar syrup).
- Make all the jalebis and soak them in syrup for no more than a min. or else it will turn soggy.
Make jalebis and enjoy with your family. I didn’t expect my Lil one will love it, but I am glad to see him loving jalebis. I hope your kids would love it too. While you all indulge yourself in the sweetness of this jalebi. I will sign off and bring another delicious and lip-smacking recipe for you all. Till then enjoy and stay safe all.