So there are few small eggplants lying in my refrigerator and I didn’t want to make that simple eggplant gravy. I gave a try to make these stuffed eggplants and they have turned out really really delicious. Do try them in your kitchen and soon they will become a great hit in your house.
- 4 small Eggplant or baingan
- 1 medium-size onion finely chopped
- 2 green chilies finely chopped
- 7-8 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 6 tbsp oil to cook the gravy
- 4 tbsp to cook eggplant
- 5-6 cloves
- 9-10 peppercorns
- 1-star anise
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- 1 tsp melon seeds
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 4 tbsp peanuts
- Salt to taste
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp red pepper powder
- Dry roast peanuts along with peppercorns, cloves, star anise. Roast until the color changes. Turn the flame off and add poppy seeds, sesame seeds, melon seeds. Give this a mix and take out on a plate to cool down. Once cooled grind it to a coarse powder. It’s up to you if you like it to be fine powder you can.
- Now heat a pan and add 6 tbsp oil. When the oil is hot add cumin seeds and fennel seeds. Now throw in the onions, chilies, garlic, and ginger and cook for 2 mins. Add in the rest of the spices and the powder. Give this all a good mix and cook for about 10 mins or until it leaves the oil to the side of the pan
- Meanwhile, wash and pat dry eggplant and give 3-4 slits to it. Do not remove the stem. It should form like a flower when done slitting. It’s an option so you can just give cross slit. I did cross and 2 more.
- Now when the Masala is cooled fills in between all petals of eggplant. When done just press very slightly so the excess would come out and it would all stick together. Clean the excess and put it on a plate. Make all the eggplant the same way. Also, make sure to keep 2-3 tbsp of Masala for the gravy.
- Now heat 4 tbsp oil in a pan and put one by one all the eggplant to it. Cook by turning it to all the sides for just about 5-10 mins or when you see that the skin of eggplant has changed its color.
- While eggplant is cooking add 1-2 cups of water to the remaining gravy and give this a mix. Cook this until the boil comes and then cook on a medium flame for another 5-10 min.
- Now when the eggplant is slightly cooked in the oil it’s time to transfer it to the gravy and let it cook in the gravy for about 30 mins by flipping it or turning it from time to time. Cover and cook until the eggplant is ready to eat.
- Once done bring the eggplant to a serving bowl. And serve it with hot naan.
Hope you enjoyed my version of making this stuffed eggplant and would definitely love it.
Do give this recipe a try and a big thumbs up. Also, do share it with your friends and family and let’s spread the joy of cooking with your loved ones.
While you enjoy this yummy recipe. Let me sign out and get another delicious recipe for you all for the next time. See ya all. Enjoy and happy eating.. !!!