Finally, I made this… I was trying out to make this traditional Karnataka Recipe from long time.. and all thanks to my South Indian friends wife who told me this yummlicious recipe of preparing Bisi Bele Bath. This is a bowl of hot lentil rice prepared with the traditional masala, tamarind paste, and veggies in it. Trust me this was finger licking, food boggling, Scrumptious, healthy and nutritious meal to have… So without wasting any single moment quickly get ready to start preparing this…
- 1/2 cup rice
- 1/4 cup toor Dal (pigeon pea lentil)
- 1/2 cup tamarind water
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup veggie (potato, onion, carrot, green peas, green chili)
- 4 tsp Bisi Bele Baath masala powder
- 10-12 cashews
- 4 tbsp coconut grated
- 8 tbsp ghee
- 6-7 curry leaves
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red pepper powder
- Wash and pressure cook rice with some salt and a tbsp ghee for 2 whistles.
- Wash and pressure cook lentil for 3 whistles with some salt, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, and a tbsp ghee.
- Blend the lentil in the blender after cooked and cooled down.
- In a pan heat 4 tbsp ghee, add mustard seeds, curry leaves, asafoetida, and veggies. Give this a good mix and cook until veggies get al dente.
- Add Bisi Bele Baath powder, some salt, red pepper, and tamarind water. Give this a mix and cook for about 2 min on medium flame.
- Now add the lentil and rice and also add some water and cook on high flame until it comes to a boil. And keep stirring.
- Now turn the flame to medium and cover and cook for about 5 min. And make sure it's not very much thick. It's should be a bit liquid.
- Meanwhile, dry roast the coconut until golden brown. And add this to the rice and lentil mix.
- In a pan heat the remaining ghee and roast the cashews until it turns brown in color.
- Now mix this ghee and cashew to the Bisi Bele Baath and mix it all well. Or you can just serve this as a tempering on the top right before serving in the serving tray.
Enjoy this hot piping rice and lentil mix with raita or papadam and stay healthy 🍲