So I have this whole bunch of fresh basil leaves from my patio waiting for me to cook something. It’s a busy lazy kind of day and I am not in any mood to cook proper dinner. But what else can I make instead of pasta and noodles in one pot and something that can be ready within 30 min. So, here I remember one day while being at home I was very hungry and I cooked tomato rice which got ready in 30 min and also was very flavorful. So I decide to make this tomato rice but with the flavor of basil in it. And the end result was mind blowing. 😉 Well it was very delicious that I saved some for my next day office lunch but due to its aromatic flavor I ended up eating it for my breakfast. Now you guys can imagine how wonderful and amazing it was… So here I am with the recipe for you guys to make this next and share with me your comments below.
- ½ cup rice
- 3 tomatoes finely diced
- 1 medium sized onion finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves finely minced
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 green chili slit
- 2 dry red pepper
- 12-15 basil leaves chopped
- Salt to taste
- ¼ tsp or to taste red pepper powder
- 2 cloves
- 4-6 peppercorns
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 black cardamom
- Pinch of turmeric
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 ½ cups water
- Heat a pressure cooker, add oil. When oil is hot add cloves, peppercorns, cardamom, red pepper, cumin seeds. Stir for 5 sec.
- Add in the garlic, ginger and green chili. Now stir for 10 sec.
- Time to add onions and cook until translucent.
- Now goes in the tomatoes and cook until mushy.
- Now throw all the spices in and add water. Wait for the water to come to a boil.
- When it starts boiling add in the rice and the basil leaves. Now cover and cook for about 1 whistle and after it turn the flame off. Leave the pressure cooker on the same stove top or burner. And let this cool down completely.
- When it’s cool down open the lid and serve hot.
Your Tomato Basil Rice is all ready to eat. Serve this hot either plain or accompanied with the raita, pickle, papad. This goes perfect for any random lunch or dinner. Also you can make this for your next picnic and enjoy.