Hello friends,I have got a new Recipe to add on to your menu. This sweet semolina cake garnished with coconut shredding is called Basbousa and it’s originated from Egypt. This is a very famous and traditional recipe from Middle East. Let’s quickly run thorough the ingredients and the process to make this sweet cake.
- For Basbousa:
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 cup coarse semolina
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- For garnishing:
- ¼ cup sweetened shredded coconut
- For syrup:
- 1½ cup sugar
- 1¾ cup water
- 1 short cinnamon stick
- ¼ tsp lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place the butter in a small bowl and melt in the microwave. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine together the sugar and yogurt, semolina, baking powder, baking soda and milk. Give this a good mix.
- Add butter now and gently whisk this.
- Transfer the semolina mixture into a greased cake pan or baking dish. Bake in the 350 degrees F-heated oven for about 40-45 minutes. If necessary, broil ever so briefly so that the top of the basbousa gains color. Watch carefully. When ready, remove from oven.
- While the cake is baking, prepare the cinnamon simple syrup. In a small sauce pan or pot, combine the sugar, water and cinnamon stick. Bring to a boil on high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Turn heat to low and let cook for a few minutes until the syrup thickens. Remove from heat and stir in the lemon juice. Let cool completely, then remove the cinnamon stick.
- As soon as the basbousa is removed from the oven, pour the cool syrup on the hot basbousa. Let cool completely; syrup must be absorbed into the cake. For best result, let it sit for 1 hour before serving.
- When ready to serve, garnish this with shredded coconut.