Laapsi is a very old and traditional sweet made in rajasthan with the broken wheat. It’s so old that earlier in marriages the only dessert use to serve was Laapsi. And not only this for any occasion like marriages, birth, festivals, house warming, baby shower this traditional sweet was made and served to the entire society. This dessert is not only easy to make but very healthy to eat. It’s been so long that even we haven’t had this Laapsi. So I decided to make this and relive those moments again. Well my laapsi turned out exactly how it tastes in rajasthan. This sweet you will not get at any sweet shop, you have to try this out at home. And make sure to make this in winter atleast once a month and it’s very much healthy. This can go as a very good breakfast for your family. As it’s always said that try to eat sweets in the morning as you get entire day to burn those calories. So without me talking much lets dive into the sea of this aromatic laapsi.
- 1 cup broken wheat
- ¾ cup ghee or unsalted butter
- ½ tsp green cardamom powder
- ¼ cup dry coconut flakes
- ¼ cup chopped nuts (adjust the quantity according to need)
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup jaggery /jaggery sugar
- Take a pressure cooker and add ghee. Let the ghee gets melt. Now add in the broken wheat and cook until they get dark brown in color. You will start getting the aroma out of it and this would take around 5-10 min.
- Now add in the water and mix this. Cover it with the lid and pressure cook for about 3 whistles and take it off the burner.
- Let this cool down. Once cool open and add in the sugar, cardamom and mix again. Cook on high flame and keep stirring in between. Let the jaggery completely melts in it and the wheat absorbs the flavor.
- At last turn the flame off and add nuts and coconut flakes.
Serve this hot and enjoy this delicious and healthy sweet right from the corner of Royal State of India. Hope you guys would love this recipe. Do give this a try and do share with us your experience. We would love to hear from each one of you. Stay tuned for the next recipe.