Moong Badam Chakki is the most delicious and scrumptious sweet which everyone likes. I would not say that it’s easy to prepare as it takes lot of time and your patience while cooking and setting down. But the result is yummilicious. And why not every good thing requires a little patience. Am I right?
Being a Marwari Dal Halwa, Dal Pakode, and Dal Chakki.., everything with Dal reminds me of my home. Chakki use to be made on every occasions, it was actually a mandatory sweet. And so this Diwali I am treating my husband with this very delicious and yet healthy Chakki. It’s delicious because it’s sweet but it’s healthy too if you reduce a bit of sugar as it’s made with lentil and almonds.
So without wasting any moment now let’s begin.
- Moong dal – 1 cup
- Sugar – 3/4 cup
- Mawa – 1 cup
- Ghee - ¾ cup
- Crushed Pistachios – 1 tbsp
- Green cardamom powder - 3-4 pinches
- Almonds - 1 cup
- Saffron strands -10-12
- Food color if required ( I am using here orange color)
- Silver leaf- 3-4
1. Wash the moong dal and almond thoroughly with water and soak it separately for 8 hours in water then drain out the excess water from it.
2. Put the soaked moong dal in a mixer jar and grind it into fine paste. Use 1-2 tbsp of water if required. Transfer the paste in a bowl.
3. Now take out the skin of almonds and put it into the mixer jar and grind it too into a fine paste.
4. In a non-stick pan heat ghee. When the ghee melts, add moong dal paste into it. Keep stirring continuously and roast the moong dal paste on medium-low flame until it turns golden brown in color. It took around 25 Mins to me.
5. Now add mawa and roast this together. After a while, add almonds paste, cardamom powder and saffron strands and roast all this together until it changes the color and is mixed properly. It took around 20 mins for me.
6. Now make sugar syrup, place a pan on flame and add sugar into it along with half cup and 2 tbsp less of water, saffron strands and cardamom powder. Let it simmer until the sugar dissolves completely then cook it for 2 more minutes.
7. After that, take food color in a small bowl and pour some sugar syrup into it. Mix it really well and add this mixture into the sugar syrup. Mix it well. Sugar syrup is now ready, take it off the flame.
8. Pour the sugar syrup into dal mix. And Mix everything gently. Do not cook now, turn off the flame.
9. Transfer the moong dal mixture on the greased plate and spread it evenly with the spatula.
10. Decorate this with silver leaf and sprinkle s pistachios on it, press it gently with the back of a spoon. Let the mixture set completely.
11. After about 4-5 hours the Chakki will set. Cut the Chakki into desired size pieces, transfer them on a plate. Moong badam barfi is now ready.
Serve these mouth-watering and tantalizing moong Badam barfi after any meal as a dessert or have them whenever you crave for something sweet.
Store these barfi in a air tight container for a week and after a week just let them out in a plate and let this dry. You can use dry Chakki as Halwa by simply heating a Chakki in microwave for about 35 seconds with 2 tbsp milk or water.
Stay tuned until I get another delicious and tasty recipe. Till then enjoy...