Malpua is a Indian pancake made with milk and flour and deep fried in butter.. It’s dipped in sugar syrup and served hot as a dessert or snack.
- 4 cups milk
- 1 cup and 4 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- 10-12 saffron strands
- Fistful of nuts (almonds and pistachios)
- Butter to deep fry malpuas
- For sugar syrup:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- Pinch of cardamom powder
1. Heat milk until it’s reduced to 2 cup.
2. Let this cool down. Now add flour, saffron strands, cardamom powder and nuts. Mix everything well and make a lump free batter. It should have flowing consistency like showed in the video.
3. To check dip 1 finger and put a dot on your hand. If it is not dropping down it's the right consistency batter.
4. Now let the batter rest for about 15 min.
5. Heat the butter, when the butter is hot enough add a ladle full of batter and it should form a circular disc shape bread with few holes on it.
6. When it swim on the top of butter turn it and let this cook from the other side. It should be cooked evenly from both the side. When it's golden brown take them out on tissue.
7. Make all the malpua in the same way.
8. Now make the sugar syrup by putting everything altogether in a pan and cook until the sugar melts.
9. Now let this come to a boil. When it starts to boil cook it for about 2 mins on medium flame. We do not want any string consistency in this syrup.
10. Now turn the flame off and dip the malpuas 1 or 2 at a time and take them out.
Serve malpuas hot and garnish this with some chopped nuts.
Hope you enjoyed my recipe. Stay tuned until I get another delicious recipe for you all.
1. While making malpuas make sure butter is hot enough. 2. Your malpuas batter should be perfect else it won't turn out good. 3. If your malpuas have few holes in between that means your malpua is perfect.