A favorite with the vegetarians, paneer made from milk is quite common, especially paneer recipes are quite popular in the Indian subcontinent. Lahori paneer is one such delicious recipe which can be cooked very easily. Gravy of Lahori Paneer is the main key of this recipe. So let’s dive right into the recipe and see how quickly to make this one.
- For paste:
- 1 medium onion chopped in big chunks
- 1 big tomato chopped in big chunks
- 1 fistful of cashews
- 3-4 clove of garlic
- 1 inch ginger sliced
- 1 green chili
- 2 tsp oil
- For gravy:
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 green chili finely chopped
- 3-4 tbsp oil
- 2-3 cloves
- 2 bay leaf
- 1 star anise
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 6-7 peppercorns
- 1 big cardamom
- 1 small cardamom
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp red pepper powder or adjust to taste
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 3 tbsp curd
- For Paneer:
- 1 tsp oil
- 4 Paneer sliced in any shape (I have sliced it in squares)
- Chopped cilantro to garnish
1. To make paste, Heat a pan and add oil. When oil is hot add onions and garlic and cook until it’s slightly changed in color.
2. Now add ginger, tomatoes, cashews and green chili. Cook this until the tomato skin becomes soft.
3. Cool down completely and make a smooth paste in mixer.
4. Now let’s begin making the gravy. Add oil in a pan and let this become really hot. When it’s hot add cloves, peppercorns, bay leaf, cinnamon stick, big and small cardamom, and star anise. Turn the flame off and cover it so the flavor gets infused into the oil.
5. Once it’s slightly cooled take all the whole spices out as we don’t need them now. And again put the same oil on flame to get little hot.
6. Now add in the onions and green chili and sauté it until golden brown.
7. Next add in the paste and little water and also red pepper powder and mix all really good. Now cover and cook for about 15 min on medium flame or until this leaves the oil from the sides.
8. Now add in the salt and curd and mix it again. Then add the cumin powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and give it a good mix. Cover and cook again until it leaves oil from the sides.
9. Meanwhile let’s prepare Paneer. Heat a skillet and add oil. When oil is moderately hot add Paneer slices and cook it from both the sides until slightly golden in color. Take this out in a plate.
10. When the gravy seems to be ready add in the garam masala and chopped cilantro and give this a last mix.
When serving put some gravy, put a slice of Paneer, put some more gravy and serve this hot with rotis or naan. I served it with hot tandoori roti.
Hope you guys would love to have this recipe. Stay tuned until the next recipe I bring it for you all really soon. Till than b bye 👋 and enjoy.
Eat healthy and stay healthy 🍽😋🤗😊
You can also put the Paneer directly into the gravy and mix it and leave it for some time so the Paneer absorbs the flavor. But the above was my version of serving it. You always make little twist with the serving and cutting Paneer but make sure to keep the spice and flavor the same so you get the real taste of Lahori Paneer.